Thursday 7 April 2016

My advice to anyone in their early twenties...


Hi Friends,

I love writing thoughtful Thursday posts because they're a bit more personal. I feel like I've said that a lot recently, but I love it. Today I want to briefly touch on some of my advice to 20 year olds. Now... at the ripe old age of 22 some of you may be thinking 'hang on a minute, how can you have advice when you're still in your early 20s?!' well... WATCH ME. You learn a lot in a couple of years and I just thought I'd share what I've learnt so far. I know I have SO much more to learn but this is just a bit of fun! Of course most of these apply to people of all ages, but it's what I've learnt in my early twenties.

1) Find a partner who is right for you. My two best friends have recently ended long term relationships. One of them turned to me and asked for my advice and I only really had one thing to say. If you don't think that the sun shines out of this persons arse then they aren't the right person for you. I basically said, don't you want to be with someone who you don't even have to question if you want to be with them? you KNOW you wan't to be with them, there is no doubt in your mind. I know it doesn't always work out that way - but we're still young, you don't need to settle down RIGHT NOW.

2) You don't have to have your entire future planned out. This is relatively easy for me to say because I have a job and have a pretty obvious path that I'm taking BUT I feel that a lot of my friends don't know EXACTLY what they're doing over the next 5 years and that scares them. Life can take you in any direction, so to people worrying about their future I would tell them that my dad is now exploring one of his biggest passions, creative writing, which he has just discovered since retiring. You don't have to discover what you want to do for the rest of your life right now, just make sure you're doing something you love and keep going! New jobs are CONSTANTLY being created as our world develops so the perfect job for you may not have even been created yet.

3) Make mistakes and then make some more. You don't learn anywhere near as much from being successful and you do from making a mistake. Some of the best lessons I've learnt recently have been from doing something wrong and why the heck not, I'm 22 - perfect mistake-making age!

4) Some really important advice I was given a few years ago was that in any situation, good or bad, would it be significant tomorrow, the day after, next week, in a month, in a year, in 5 years time. Don't spend time stressing out about things that won't be significant in a short amount of time. When friends of mine get stressed about small insignificant things I can't help but think 'Will this affect your life next week? If not, let it go'. If it's going to last a longer amount of time then obviously that is more difficult, but, as the book says, don't sweat the small stuff.

5) Lastly, don't let people treat you any differently because of your age. You can sometimes be spoken down to or bullied because you're young. Whether this is at work or amongst friends, wherever you are, you're still important. Don't let yourself be bullied because no one is better than anyone else, we are all equal and you need to stand up for yourself while your young.

I hope this has helped in any way shape or form - obviously these are only things I've learnt in the past couple of years and I KNOW there's so much more ahead of me and that I'll change my mind and learn new things.

Love & hugs,




No comments:

Post a Comment