Wednesday 16 December 2015

Day 16 - Yum yummy, get in my tummy!


Hi Friends :)

Today I wanted to try to make a really super traditionally Christmas recipe so I went for Minced Pies! Won't lie, I'm not a fan of them, I just nibble off the pastry and leave the inside but I actually LIKED these ones - amazing! 




You will need...

-340g plain flour
-1 pinch of salt
-200g butter
-2 tbsp caster sugar
-3 large egg yolks 
-4 tbsp cold water
-1 jar of mincemeat, mine is from telcos
-a circular cookie cuter
-a star shaped cookie cutter
-a cupcake tin

I used these amounts to make 6 minced pies but there was plenty of pastry left and I probably could have made more!

Start off by mixing the plain flour and salt together and then combining this with the butter. Make sure your butter is at room temperature or you'll be there forever trying to mix them (I had this issue last week with cookies...). Once these are combined mix in the sugar, egg yolks and water. Then spend a few minutes combining this into a big ball of dough and bung it in a plastic zip bag and into the fridge for 15 mins! 


After it had chilled I put the oven to 175C before making my minced pies! Roll out your dough onto a surface dusted with flower so that it doesn't get stuck! 


I then selected the right sized circular cutter for my tins and cut out 6 circles, followed by 6 stars. After greasing the tin with butter, pop your bases into the tin with a teaspoon of mincemeat on top.


Once they are filled I put the stars on top and covered them lightly with egg yolk to make them nice and glossy! The yolk cooks faster which is why it goes golden. 

Before cooking... 



After cooking! I dusted them off with icing sugar so that they looked more Christmassy... plus who doesn't like icing sugar?! 



I hope this gets you in the festive spirit! Do try this recipe because I really didn't like mince pies before and I actually liked these! I had 2 for dinner last night with a glass of milk... oops?! SO healthy...


Love & hugs,


4 comments:

  1. This is making me drool ah. They look delicious

    www.creaturesoftweed.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Try the recipe, they're so tasty :) xoxo

      Delete
  2. I love mince pies especially homemade ones. I made some ones with stars on just the other day, I think it makes them look so cute! Great post! :-) xx

    Helen | Helens Fashion & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it looks adorable! I now only love home made ones :) Thanks for the comment,
      Lucy xoxo

      Delete